All You Need To Know
Yorkshire-Visitors-Guide.com has been built to bring together into one place, a visitors guide with everything you need to research and plan your visit to Yorkshire. While you’re about it, my hope is that you will thoroughly enjoy discovering the many varied aspects and delights of England’s largest county. Along the way - to whet your appetite as it were - I’ll share with you some of its secret gems - such as:
But you really should come and discover for yourself, see and feel with your own eyes and senses the myriad jewels woven into the rich tapestry of life here.
Born and bred in the West Riding, my life to date has been spent here - except for a brief five year period devoted to a desire to see something of the world. Then, my wish was to escape the valley of my birth, teeming, as it was, and still is, with the urgency of life, fun and industry. Now, I've returned to experience anew, the warmth, hospitality and beauty. To gaze with fresh eyes once again upon the vast moorlands, rural dales and industrial valleys. To view it all as a visitor might - but tinted now with the knowledge of the native and the understanding of maturity.
“My” valley, the Aire Valley, is just a small part of God’s Wonderful County. That's what the folks around here call our county. As a welcome visitor you will surely experience the warmth of our people and the thrust of our industry. Feel yourself being carried along by our uplifting joy of life, as we throw ourselves into the many and diverse leisure attractions.
Well! ... You might visit us with an eye to our long and fascinating history, reaching back, as it does, over two thousand years and more, into the swirling mists of pre history. You may seek enjoyable holiday pursuits along our North Sea coastline. Maybe you need a dose of retail therapy in our cosmopolitan cities. How about simple rural pursuits such as walking, cycling, climbing and para-gliding? Para-gliding? - Well yes, if that's your thing!
The valleys of the industrial West Riding have mostly shrugged off the mantle of those dark satanic mills and face a brighter future of ever greater leisure and prosperity for the folks who dwell there. Improvements and progress aside, you'll hardly fail to wonder at the stark contrast between the gritty Pennine villages, their houses and shops, pubs and workshops huddled together up and along the steep valleys, compared with the wide open spaces of the grand, ancestral estates and stately homes of the North Riding. Castle Howard, for example, is an 18th century stately home complete with the “Wow” factor, surrounded by wonderful gardens and a 10,000 acre working estate, Lying in the fertile Vale of York, just fifteen miles north east of the City of York - it's well worth a visit.
Our county town, the City of York, is famous worldwide for its magnificent York Minster and near complete circuit of medieval walls. More than two thousand years of history is crammed into the area surrounded by its walls, waiting for you to explore and discover. The Vale of York is flanked to the East by the high, bleak landscapes of the North York Moors National Park and to the West by the numerous hills and valleys of the Yorkshire Dales National Park. Both are areas of outstanding natural beauty - each having its own unique character and appeal. Your visit would not be complete without seeing one or the other national park - or why not both?
The Yorkshire Calendar
Brought to you each week by The Yorkshire Film Archive. A glimpse of life as it was in days gone by.
Whether you're a welcome visitor or made of true Yorkshire grit, these short clips of archive film present an enticing glimpse of our county and its folk. A valuable insight into what made Yorkshire so special. Be it a fun day out for the family, brave soldiers marching off to war or the colourful pageantry of a royal visit, these glimpses into the past show Yorkshire at work, rest and play.
"We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about."
Charles Kingsley (1819 - 1875)
Go on - click the links! Have a good ol' nosey around!
Hopefully you'll enjoy using this visitors guide as much as I've enjoyed, and am still enjoying, putting it together. It's an ongoing project for me and topic will build on topic as the weeks and months pass. I know and love Yorkshire, but little did I guess how much there is to know until my researching began in earnest.
Oh! - by the way! Do you have a favourite place in Yorkshire? Why not share it with other visitors? Do you have a special story about somewhere or someone in the county? I'm always happy to publish well written articles from my readers. As long as it fits in with the Guide's theme I'll consider it for approval. Use this form on the My Yorkshire page - it's easy to do!
Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search box and find it. To find it on the Yorkshire-Visitors-Guide website, be sure to select the right radio button. Happy searching!
Visit Our Premium Partners...
What's a Premium Partner?
At HolidayCotts.co.uk you'll find an exceptional range of self catering holiday cottages. From the Peak District in Derbyshire through the Yorkshire Dales, Moors and Coast, Lancashire, Durham, the Lake District and Cumbria we have some of the most magnificent scenery, the prettiest villages and the most stunning stately homes in the country. In amongst all this are our holiday properties, from rustic farmhouses through to luxury apartments we have a range to suit both your taste and your pocket.
At Hobby and Lifestyle.com you'll find an ever expanding range of topics covering everything from pet ownership to travel and lots of other things in between.
If you're going on a vacation....any vacation Vacation Lists Can Help. Packing and planning tips, printable checklists and helpful vacation information to help you breeze through your vacation preparations.
Below is a list of the pages in this site, which might be an easier way for you to search for whatever you need. Do let me know if you have a question or suggestion - please click the Contact link in the menu. Enjoy your visit to this site ... I hope you too become enthusiastic about Yorkshire.
- Travel to Yorkshire :: Getting there
- Travel to Yorkshire is easy whether you live in Europe, Asia or The Americas. Coming by air, sea or by road or rail, you have a wide variety of options to choose from.
- Getting Around Yorkshire is Easy - There are lots of ways to do it!
- However you get here, get here! When you do, getting around Yorkshire is likely to be a mixture of urban and rural experiences...
- Where to stay in Yorkshire - what a choice!
- Where to stay on your visit to Yorkshire? That really is a question and a half! Such a vast choice...
- Holiday Cottages in Yorkshire - Best ones recommended for you to choose
- Find the best holiday cottages in Yorkshire with this useful, growing directory...
- Bed and Breakfast in Yorkshire - Best ones recommended for you to choose
- Find the best bed and breakfast in Yorkshire with this useful, growing directory...
- Yorkshire History - A Journey Through Time
- Yorkshire history is long, turbulent and utterly fascinating. The Romans and Vikings in York played their part in forging the Yorkshire we know today...
- "Yorkshire Coast - What will you find on the Yorkshire Coast?"
- Seaside holiday resorts and tiny fishing harbours, coastal footpaths and bird sanctuaries are enticing features of the Yorkshire Coast...
- "Yorkshire Pennines - Hill Farms and Mill Towns of the Pennines"
- The hills and moors of the Yorkshire Pennines rise in the West above picturesque valleys carved into the landscape by rivers that once powered the mills of the Industrial Revolution...
- Walks in Yorkshire - Healthy Hills and Dales
- Walks in Yorkshire tells you about the different kinds of walks that you'll find. Long distance footpaths, circular walks and short strolls between pubs ...
- "Canal Walks In Yorkshire - Enjoyable walks along the towpaths"
- There are many canal walks in Yorkshire. This must be the best way to see and be part of the delightful countryside...
- Free Walk Downloads - directions for walks in Yorkshire
- Thousands of free walk downloads are available across the internet. Hundreds have details of walks covering the length and breadth of Yorkshire.If you were to walk just one each weekend...
- Yorkshire Dales National Park - Wild, Woolly and Welcoming!
- The Yorkshire Dales National Park is a fascinating blend of wild, bleak moorland, tranquil valleys and cosy, welcoming villages stamped with the traditional hospitality of the dales folk.
- "North York Moors National Park - Moorland, Coast and Dales"
- North York Moors - Between the rugged Yorkshire coast and the tranquil Vale of York you'll discover a fascinating land of bleak moors and colourful villages, friendly folk and ancient trails ...
- Yorkshire Steam Trains :: Steam in Yorkshire
- Steam trains in Yorkshire. Visitors to Yorkshire are blessed with many opportunities to see, hear and smell those fire- and smoke-breathing giants of the Industrial Revolution...
- Yorkshire towns and Cities
- In Yorkshire towns and cities you'll find a colourful, multi-cultural mish-mash of races, creeds and religions from all over the world...
- Stately Homes - Grandest in the Land
- Yorkshire is truly blessed with Stately Homes. With inimitable style and boundless confidence your average landed gentry of years-gone-by built his ancestral home in grand style...
- Books about Yorkshire - reviews
- Many books about Yorkshire have been written. Here are my reviews of just a few ...
- History Books About Yorkshire - Reviews
- Many history books about Yorkshire have been written over the years. They discuss in many ways the turbulent and dramatic history of Yorkshire...
- Yorkshire Holiday Ideas
- When it comes to dream holiday destinations, Yorkshire truly has it all. Here are some great Yorkshire holiday ideas...
- Your Family Trip to Yorkshire - a Holiday Guide
- Nothing beats packing up the family and heading off for a few days. Yorkshire, with its great mixture of classic countryside and modern marvels, is the perfect place for your family trip to Yorkshire.
- Yorkshire Folk - Famous People of Yorkshire
- Yorkshire folk, the famous people of Yorkshire are renowned and loved worldwide. Explorers, literary giants, thespians, sportsmen and women, even politicians ...
- Find your ancestors from Yorkshire
- I’m often asked by visitors about their ancestors who may have emigrated from Yorkshire in times gone by. This is how I try to help...
- Free Downloads
- A collection of free downloads that may prove useful.
- Caring Yorkshire - Yorkshire Charities
- Yorkshire charities depend on caring Yorkshire folk. The Yorkshire Tyke is traditionally known as a blunt, hard-headed scoundrel. But above all the folk of Yorkshire are a caring lot...
- My Yorkshire - why not share your stories about Yorkshire?
- My Yorkshire is the place for readers stories. Why not submit an article and share your story about Yorkshire....
- Search for it - Use this search page to find what you want
- Use this search for it page to find what you're looking for either on the Yorkshire Visitors Guide web site or for a wider search of the world wide web...
- Yorkshire Blog
- The Yorkshire Visitors Guide Blog keeps you up-to-date with all additions and changes to the yorkshire-visitors-guide.com Web site. Subscribe here.
- About me - Hey! ... who's driving this thing anyway?
- About me. Hello - I'm the guy behind the scenes here at Yorkshire Visitors Guide ...
- How I built this web site
- How did you build your web site? Good question. Learn how and why I built Yorkshire-Visitors-Guide.com...
- Yorkshire news
- There's always something making Yorkshire news. Check out here for the latest. Contribute your news items here...
- Worldwide Interesting Places to visit
- Links to other interesting places...
- Site Map - Yorkshire Visitors Guide.com
- Use this page to find the page you are looking for. The site map lays out the pages of the website ...
- Yorkshire Visitors Guide - contact me
- Contact me with your ideas, thoughts and suggestions
- Yorkshire Visitors Guide - Website Rules
- Website rules/Terms and Conditions for Yorkshire-Visitors-Guide.com