National Railway Museum
Visit the National Railway Museum in York - the world's greatest railway museum - enjoy an action-packed day out for all ages. Here are eleven great reasons to visit:
* A charge applies
- Get up close to a huge collection of stunning locomotives, wagons and carriages
- 100s of exhibits and lots of interactive fun
- Daily programme of talks and demonstrations
- Science Shows #
- Theatre performances from beginning of March 2011 #
- Family activities during the school holidays
- Steam rides during the school holidays *
- Events and exhibitions
- Outdoor play area with miniature railway *
- Simulator rides *
- Free entry
# weekends and school holidays only
|Special Events at the National Railway Museum|
Look out for special events coming to the NRM. Details will be posted here as soon as I have them.
The National Railway Museum (NRM) in York covers over 300 years of railway history. Its collections include over 100 locomotives, some 250 items of rolling stock and thousands of other objects – from posters and tickets to uniforms and silverware. Visitors can enjoy a fun family day out with the kids including an action-packed annual programme of special events and exhibitions. Admission to the museum is free.
Here are some of the events that were featured in 2011
Driver, Draughtsman, Cleaner, Clerk: Running Britain's Railways
- Until 19th June
- Take an insight into the personal human stories behind the railway workers who built and ran Britain's railways and the variety of jobs they did, in this new exhibition. Personal accounts will be illustrated through photographs accompanied by the documents and objects that workers needed to do their day to day work, including drivers' diaries and logbooks.
- 13th to 20th March
- Discovery Day - 13th March
- Get your whole family hands-on and involved with over 20 workshops looking at the wonderful and strange science behind everyday living.
- Record Breakers - A Racy Weekend at the NRM - 19th and 20th March
- Celebrate the end of Science Week with a weekend exploring the world of the fast and glamorous. From stunning streamliners to speediest movers, looking at the world of record breaking trains, bicycles and cars. Join in with our speedy craft activities, science shows and storytelling.
- 9th to 24th April
- Help us mark the 10th anniversary of the NRM receiving the Japanese Bullet Train with live music and martial arts every day during the Easter holidays. Make your own origami Bullet Train, dress up in Kimono's and enjoy a rare opportunity of cab access to the iconic Shinkansen, the only Bullet Train outside Japan.
Welcome Home Flying Scotsman
- An exciting event to welcome home the nation's favourite locomotive fresh from her recent overhaul. Enjoy a range of fun family activities. Flying Scotsman will also be operating on the mainline in 2011. For further details visit www.flyingscotsman.org.uk
- Summer saw the launch of the new art gallery space in 2011, showcasing an exciting programme of temporary exhibitions. These included items from our unseen art collection and art work from across the world, inspired by the railways. The gallery will be home to a marvellous 12 week exhibition dedicated to Japanese Wood Cuts. The Art Gallery is funded by The Foundation for Sport and Arts
National Railway Museum Shop
When you visit the museum, be sure to head for the shop! Model railway enthusiasts of any age will thrill to the range of goodies on sale. If you can't wait to take a look, make your way to the online shop, where you'll find a great selection of collectibles, books and DVDs. You can almost smell the smoke!
Model trains and railway art, including the iconic Flying Scotsman are ready for you to buy online. Take a look around the NRM Shop now. There are gifts for all ages. Why not treat yourself?
National Railway Museum
Leeming Road, York YO26 4XJ
Open Daily: 10:00 - 18:00
Closed 24 - 26 December
Free Museum Admission
Small charges may apply for special events
Full details of all other facilities can be found on the NRM web site National Railway Museum together with any last minute information about all the events and other attractions.
The NRM forms part of the National Museum of Science and Industry (NMSI), along with the Science Museum in London, the National Media Museum in Bradford and Locomotion – the National Railway Museum in Shildon.
All images in the centre column of this page, published with kind permission, are copyright National Railway Museum. They may not be reproduced without their permission.
Return from National Railway Museum to York
Return to Yorkshire Steam Trains
Return to Home Page