Stockeld Park - Where magic is made and Adventures begin
by Amy Thornton
The Enchanted Forest at Stockeld Park
A world record attempt is the highlight of a busy schedule of special events to be held at Stockeld Park as part of its Halloween and Christmas celebrations.
Over a 12 week period, starting from October half-term and running until January 2014, Yorkshire’s award-winning woodland adventure attraction will play host to a jam-packed calendar of events for all ages that will brighten up even the coldest Autumn and Winter days.
There’s plenty of spooky activities and ghoulish goings on from Wednesday 23 October – Sunday 3rd November to coincide with The Halloween Adventure, including magical performances in the Wizard’s Den and mysterious stories during Bewitching Tales.
Meanwhile for the brave, but certainly not the faint hearted, the terrifying and spine-tingling Fright Night will also make a welcome return to the park.
And that’s not all. There’s also a busy schedule of events and enchanting entertainment lined up during The Christmas Adventure too, the highlights of which include the return of the spellbinding ‘Christmas at Hogwarts’ weekend, a new special Yorkshire Gift Fair and Cinderella pantomime, presented by Make a Wish Entertainment.
The Christmas fun will also feature two special charity events for Martin House Hospice, including a Santa Dash and a Guinness Book of World Record attempt on Saturday 9th November, when the park hopes to set a new world record for the largest gathering of Santa’s elves.
Amy Thornton, General Manager at Stockeld Park says: “Over the past few years, our Halloween and Christmas Adventures have become two of the most anticipated family seasonal festivities in the region, and this year they’re set to be bigger and better than ever before with the highlight being our world record attempt off.”
“After a successful summer we can’t wait to open our doors again in October, and look forward to welcoming new and returning visitors once again.”
With a strong emphasis on providing visitors with an Adventure, Stockeld Park blends outdoor activity pursuits with original sights, sounds and sculpture – all based in one of Yorkshire’s most ancient woodland locations.
Here’s a guide to what’s on at Stockeld Park during Autumn / Winter 2013.
HALLOWEEN & CHRISTMAS ADVENTURE ZONES
• Enter the Enchanted Forest and you’ll discover a world of fairytale creatures lurking around every corner. The Forest is packed with hand-made sculptures and interactive features, including beautiful illuminations and sounds that greet guests as they walk through the Forest. Throughout Halloween and Christmas the four Adventure Zones will feature a variety of activities, including the only artificial Nordic ski trail in the UK, an outdoor skating rink, illuminated Yew tree maze, plus a giant witch’s hat and T-pot slide - both designed and built by the park’s in-house team of artists and technicians.
Open every day from Wednesday 23rd October - January 6th 2014. Please visit www.stockeldpark.co.uk for detailed opening times and exceptions.
GROTTO – open from Saturday 9th November
• Welcome Santa back to Stockeld Park when he arrives on Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th November and enter a competition to win a sleigh parade through the park’s magical Enchanted Forest. Santa’s woodland grotto will be open from 9th November – 24th December. Please visit www.stockeldpark.co.uk for detailed opening times and exceptions.
WORLD RECORD ATTEMPT! – Saturday 9th November
• This winter Stockeld Park is going on an ‘Elf drive’ as it attempts to break the Guinness World Record for the largest gathering of Santa’s Elves in aid of Martin House Hospice. The current record stands at 762 and the park is calling on the support of the local community to smash this record and bring the title to Yorkshire! The event will be held at Stockeld Park on Saturday 9th November, with the official count taking place at 11am.
SANTA’S ARRIVAL AND SLEIGH PARADE - Saturday 9th & Sunday 10th November
• Celebrate Santa’s return to Stockeld Park on Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th November. Meet Santa’s reindeers from midday and follow Santa around the Enchanted Forest on a sleigh parade at 3pm. You can also visit Santa in his brand new log cabin Grotto from midday.
CHRISTMAS AT HOGWARTS – Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th November
• Wizardry acts will leave you spellbound during the ‘Christmas at Hogwarts’ weekend of 16th and 17th November. Enter the classroom and try broomstick training; the Sorting Hat will tell you which house you’re destined for. Meanwhile a spellbinding show Harry and Hagrid awaits visitors in the Enchanted Forest. Activities will be priced individually during this event or with a special Golden Potter Pass you can become a wizard for the day and experience all this and more. Golden Potter Passes = all Stockeld Park Adventure Zones and Christmas at Hogwarts activities for the great price of £15.50 child, £17.50 adult or £56 for 2 adults, 2 children. Book online at www.stockeldpark.co.uk
YORKSHIRE GIFT FAIR – Friday 22nd & Saturday 23rd November
• New for 2013, Stockeld Park has launched a two day Yorkshire Gift fair which will showcase local products, crafts and gifts, and provide visitors with perfect gift ideas just in time for Christmas. The event will be held on 22nd & 23rd November 12.30 – 18.00 and is free to enter.
PANTOMIME – Sunday 24th November
• The fantastic Make a Wish Entertainment team return to Stockeld Park to perform the pantomime Cinderella on Sunday 24th November. Set in the park’s wonderful marquee this pantomime promises to be a great family show and is guaranteed to get visitors in the festive spirit. The show duration is 60 minutes and will take place at 1.00pm, 3.00pm and 5.00pm. Prices for a family of four are £20.00 with individual tickets also available.
Christmas trees – on sale from Wednesday 27th November
Originally a Christmas tree farm, Stockeld Park continues to grow over half a million Christmas trees every year on the estate! On sale from 27th November, all Christmas trees are hand-pruned and sprinkled with a little fairy dust.
Magical gift emporium
Stockeld Park’s gift emporium offers an out of town boutique shopping experience that can’t fail to get you in the festive spirit. As you enter and see Santa’s armchair warming by the fire, you’ll be drawn to explore every nook and cranny that’s been filled with hand-selected gifts, home wares and interior trends. Extended in 2012, the park’s woodland shop has Christmas all wrapped up with gift ideas and every stocking filler, cracker and napkin you need for the perfect Christmas. Open from 10.30am – 8.30pm. FREE parking and ENTRANCE. Please visit www.stockeldpark.co.uk for more details and exceptions.
Serving home-cooked, locally sourced food and our famous Hot chocolate ‘with the works’, Stockeld Park’s licensed cafes are the ideal place to unwind after a fun-filled day of festive adventures.